In memory of the slain members of Mother Emmanuel AME Church

If I could have a cup of tea with anyone today, it would be the families of the slain pastor and members of Mother Emmanuel AME Church in Charleston, S.C.


Rev. Sharonda Coleman-Singleton and Ethel Vance were buried on Thursday. The Rev. Clementa Pinckney was eulogized and buried on Friday.

I’d pour them a cup of Endurance tea because they have had to go through so much after their loved ones were massacred during a Bible study class over a week ago. It has been extremely difficult for the families and friends. But this horrible incident has had a great impact on the rest of the country as well. We still have much to endure.

And after we sipped and prayed, I’d ask them to take another moment to have a cup of Inspiration tea with me. I’d ask them to share how their family member had inspired them.

Their loved ones have inspired all of us. But the resilience of the families have inspired us with their love and forgiveness. Their legacy inspires all of us to do better, stand up against hatred and to make a difference.

And I’d thank the families for starting the healing process for the country.