Tea with Michelle Howard

If I could have tea with anyone today, it would be Vice Admiral Michelle Howard.

A 1982 graduate of the U. S. Naval Academy, Howard last week was named the female African American four-star admiral in the Navy. She was also the first African American woman to command a ship.


I would pour her a cup of Inspiration tea and sip with her and tell her how she inspires me. I'd ask her  what inspired her to keep going and break through the brass ceiling. What inspired her to in those early classes that admitted women into the academy? What advice does she have for young women who want to follow in her footsteps?

And if she had a little more time, I would offer a cup of Empowerment tea. By doing her work , she empowers us all to follow our dreams .

I started July 1 with an early morning stroll through the Naval Academy grounds. It was unusually busy with families bringing their loved one to be inducted into the Navy later that day. We stopped to look at chairs being set up in the courtyard of Bancroft Hall and I thought of Michelle Howard. She started there too over 30 years ago.

Her plebe cap is now in the archives of the Banneker-Douglass Museum in downtown Annapolis.

I salute Michelle Howard with a cup of Endurance tea today.