Tea with Ava DuVernay

If I could have a cup of tea with anyone today, it would be film director Ava DuVernay.

I would pour her a cup of Inspiration tea because she has enlightened so many people by bringing to life on the screen the injustices faced by African Americans in Selma, Alabama in the early part of the 20th century.


I want to hear what inspired her to tell the story of Bloody Sunday and Martin Luther King Jr.’s role in that moment of the Civil Rights era.

And as we sip and savor the tea, I want to hear how she feels about winning the NAACP Image Award for outstanding Motion Picture but being overlooked for an Oscar nomination.

Then I’d switch to Endurance tea and talk about what she had to go through to bring the story to screen. I’d talk about how gracious she has been in her interviews about the snub from the Oscars. 
And we’d talk about how good it that John Legend won a Golden Globe Award for “Glory,” the Oscar-nominated song from “Selma.”


And if DuVernay, had a few more moments, I’d ask what’s next because she’s empowered to tell more great stories that will inspire the rest of us.